Sunday, February 16, 2014

I Know That My Redeemer Lives

Picture from: http://mormon.org/discover/002/01-jesus-christ-our-savior.html?gclid=CL_Um8ze0bwCFUhgMgodAV8AKA&CID=99112502&ef_id=UrdRrAAABE5@-qzr:20140216225349:s
Lately I have felt a need to address an old misconception about my religious beliefs; that LDS (Latter-Day Saint / Mormon) people are not a true Christians.

Many people in the world still believe that LDS people are not Christian because our meeting houses and temples don't display the cross. This makes me sad because this misguided belief couldn't be farther from the truth. LDS churches and temples have tall steeples without crosses that seem to stretch toward Heaven as a reminder of the RESURRECTED Lord and symbolizing that we believe in eternal life (life after death). Although we hold Christ's death on the cross with ultimate importance and reverence, we focus on his life before and after his death. This beautiful song posted below, "I Know That My Redeemer Lives," embodies the message that Latter-Day Saints not only believe that Jesus Christ lived and taught on this earth, and that He not only died for everyone on the cross, but that he arose from the dead three days later, and that even today, He has a perfected, resurrected body. The best way we know how to emulate Christianity is not through displaying a cross on our churches, but by living a life that follows the example of Jesus Christ. After all, isn't a true Christian someone who emulates Christ's life through his/her own actions, showing forth the fruits of good works and not just in the displaying of a symbol?

That being said, I love all of my dear friends and acquaintances, whether from my own religious denomination or others, who  strive to live good lives and to serve their fellow men with selfless love and compassion.

Youtbe - I Know That My Redeemer Lives: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx6Y9nxnwos

Note: LDS people are in NO WAY associated with the FLDS (Fundamentalist Latter-Day Saint) church.

No comments:

Post a Comment