Tuesday, January 15, 2013

"The Next Big Thing!"

“THE NEXT BIG THING” is designed to raise awareness of new works, or works in progress, by answering ten questions about them. I graciously thank the person who nominated me, The Brother’s Washburn (http://thebrotherswashburn.blogspot.com), and have tagged four other authors whose work could very well be THE NEXT BIG THING.

What is the working title of my book?
Shadows of Valor

Where did the idea come from for the book?
            I'd never written, or even attempted to write, a  full length novel before, but I had a bunch of action packed medieval scenes (and a few romantic ones *smile*) running around in my head 6 years ago that I thought, if put together, would make a great movie or story. So I sat down and started to work a plot around them.

What genre does my book fall under?
            Medieval Fiction - Takes place in 1300 A.D. England

Which actors would I choose to play my characters in a movie rendition?
            Hero – Stephen AmellChris Hemsworth, Channing Tatum or Richard Armitage
            Heroine – Kate Beckinsale or Madeleine Stowe
            Male Antagonist 1 – Paul Walker, Alexander Skarsgard, Orlando Bloom or Mike Vogel
            Male Antagonist 2 – Sean Bean, Gerard Butler or Rufus Sewel
            Female Antagonist – Alice Krige

What is a one-sentence synopsis of my book?
            Mixing adventure, and a touch of romance, a knight-spy for England's king hunts down smugglers while resisting his vengeance-driven desire to execute lethal justice before turning them in.

Will my book be self-published or represented by an agency?
My book is represented by Jolly Fish Press.

How long did it take me to write the first draft of my manuscript?
            As disorganized as the first draft was, it probably took me about 6 months . . . but then the reader feedback and countless revisions began *laugh*.

What other books would I compare this story to within my genre?
My husband says my story is like a “medieval batman.” I don’t know if another story like that exists - well, besides the obvious Robin Hood-type character, but my hero isn't an outlaw and doesn't live in the woods *smile*.

Who or what inspired me to write this book?
            I was inspired by visiting medieval castles in Italy and through reading stories such as Robin Hood, King Arthur and Ivanhoe. I started jotting things down on a whim one day. I had a bunch of cool ideas run through my head that I thought would make cool movie or story scenes. The idea to incorporate poems/ballads into the story were inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien including poems in “The Hobbit” and “The Lord of the Rings.” I only wrote three in mine, though. One at in the beginning, middle and last part of the novel. Hearing the poems and songs come to life through beautiful tunes in the Lord of the Rings movies directed by Peter Jackson inspired me to put my own to music as well. It was quite an enjoyable experience as I play the piano and also have a music writing program on my computer.

What else about my book might pique the reader’s interest?
            As mentioned above, I wrote three ballads into the story and went so far as writing the sheet music as well, all of which will be included in the publication. There is also a medieval recipe in there, courtesy of my sweet mother who was also my most awesome editor for all my revisions before I finally submitted to Jolly Fish Press.

Release date for Shadows of Valor: September 7, 2013

My links:
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/authorelsiepark
Twitter - https://twitter.com/elsiepark1
Blog - www.elsiepark.blogspot.com/
Barnes and Noble -  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/shadows-of-valor-elsie-park/1114940696
* * *

Here are the fabulous authors I’ve tagged to tell you about their Next Big Thing on the 23rd of January!

2 comments:

  1. Oooh! I'm drooling. Can't wait to read it - I love a good fast-paced historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Teri! I just noticed your comment just today, a month after you left it. I'm sorry. I must have been in the middle of moving when you posted it. I can't wait to read about your witches either. Jolly Fish sure has some cool stories in it's fast growing collection!

      Delete