Monday, August 27, 2012

Reading Tolkien's "The Hobbit" to my kids

Reading THE HOBBIT to my young children.


In preparation for "The Hobbit" movies coming out, my husband and I decided to reread J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" (an excellent classic!). That's not the most wonderful part, however. We read the book aloud with our oldest children present , ages 7 and 4, to see if they'd pay attention. I was shocked that they actually sat and listened (while coloring quietly in coloring books) to a story without pictures and with writing meant more for teens and older. And to prove they weren't just being polite to their mommy, when I stopped reading each night, they protested and shouted for "more hobbit" "more Bilbo" and even talked about the what they liked about the story. *sniff sniff* Brought a tear to my eye (well figuratively). We are now over half-way through the novel and aching for more.

Update December 2014: Reading it yet AGAIN before the second of the three-part movie comes out. This time, my now 8-year-old is reading the book herself for about 20 minutes before I take over and continue the story for her and her 5-year-old sister to listen to. They love it and so do I. Can't wait to see the second movie. The first was AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment